Monday, August 17, 2009

Wyoming Trek... It's A Long One, But A Good One...

Well since it's been forever since I've put a post on here, I decided to give you guys alittle somthing!! In July, Cory and I went to Martin's Cove Wyoming to visit my parents on their mission! It was SO amazing to be there, just the feeling at that spot is so wonderful and you could really feel the spirit stongly there! It was so great to be able to see my mom and dad! We decided to leave a day earlier then planned and suprised myparents by just walking in and standing in the living room door! I think I acared my mom a bit, but it felt so good to be able to hug and talk with them! I miss you mom and dad! Love you lots too!!
So, my sister Nikki and her kids, Neil and his wife Johanna, their girls, and Travis all came as well and we had such a good time! We went on the Trek on Saturday and it was AMAZING! I can't even describe the feeling you get when you are doing this in the spots they walked! We parked our handcarts and went up into Martin's Cove! Let me tell you I've never been more touched or humbled then when I was standing on that ground. There is a sense of restlessness and of peace! You could almost hear them walking or talking. As people in this generation we don't really realize what they went through. We thought it was way too hot, but I could never imagine being there in the frigid cold!
It really touched Cory as well! I'm so happy that he came, because I know he felt the spirit out there and was touched! He's such a trooper and loves my family and I'm so lucky to have him! We went up the hill and down a ways were the saints had tried bury their dead and heard the stories the missionaries told us! I don't know how they did it! To hear your wife, child, parent or husband being eaten by the wolves is horrible! What an example those members were to us! Perseverance and faith was there in them the whole time they suffered! What amazing and strong people!
We then went and saw a memorial built for the 4 men who carried the members across the Sweetwater. They had erected 4 statues of the men and they are absolutely stunning and touching to look at! Absolutely beautiful!
We went to the Sweetwater to do our first crossing were the saints did! The missionaries asked that we be reverent and respectful on this river crossing! When you first see the Sweetwater, you kinda think, "That doesn't look so bad!", it's a whole lot different when you're in it and it's a whole lot deeper too! What an amazing experience I don't think one of us went untouched at that spot! It was summer and the water felt so good to us, but to remember that our people crossed that in negative degree weather, and had to watch for the ice was so touching!
Once we all crossed, we went to the next river crossing which the current was a bit faster and the river deeper! IT FELT SO GOOD! It was hot when we were trekking! I was so touched at this crossing because my niece Britny wanted to carry her sister Paige across on her back! Even though it was playful at first you could see Britny start to struggle and you could hear Paige giving her words of encouragement the whole way across! When they made it across, Britny put Paige down and the gave each other a big hug! It was such a sweet and tender moment between them I'll never forget it!
After we finished the river pulls and cooling off a bit, we had to go to the women's pull! This is where the men go off and up on this hill and the women pull the carts up! It's so the men realize what the women had to go through and for the women to appreciate the women and vice versa! Of course my dad picked for us to do the biggest, baddest hill! What a guy! That was probably the hardest thing I've had to do in my life! I had myself and my niece Cydni, so that basically meant I had the cart to myself! LOL! Cydni did her best and we got about 20feet from the top when the cart started to roll backwards! I was pretty nervous, so I just dug my feet in and stopped the cart! The thing with these carts, is when you stop the momentum, you really are going to have to rock and push to get it started again! I remember feeling like if I could just catch my breath I'll be fine! Then out of nowhere a pair of hands were on the push bar! When I looked up it was Britny and Paige was rounding the back of the cart to push! When we finally got the cart up, I hugged the girls and thanked them because I wouldn't have been able to do that on my own! I then got a HUGE crushing hug from Cory and kiss! He said that was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do, was sit there and watch, especially when he say that my cart was going to go backwards and when he say me have to dig in to hold it steady! He said all he wanted was to run down and grab the cart to unload that burden and get me to the top! He was very touched by that women's pull, he said he could hardly stand watching my mom trying to push as well! He absolutely loves her! I think all the men were touched at that moment!
After the women's pull, it was time to head back! The trek was over! We had such an awesome experience! It's something I recommend to everyone to do at least once in there lifetime! Next year I'm hoping we do the overnight trek! What an experience that would be and I think then you'd really get the full impact! We left on Sunday to come home! I wish we could have stayed there forever! It was so awesome, fun and spiritual! I'm glad that Cory had a good time and was touched by what he witnessed and experienced! So here are some pictures for you guys to check out! Hope you all are doing great!!




















2 comments:

janica said...

that looks amazingly awesome! I'm jealous, but I bet the heat wasn't too fun. What a spiritual experience.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! What a great experience, some day I hope to do that. Thanks for sharing!