Ever since I was a kid I've always thought my dad was Superman. Well that and I always thought he was Santa too! I've been thinking about my dad alot lately. He got hurt a few weeks ago and it made me think about how much my dad means to me.
My dad has taught me so much but in such a behind the scene kind of way. Like when I was a teenager and before I left or walked out the door, I would hear him call out, "Remember Who You Are!". Or never letting us complain on the farm, of course we would when he couldn't hear us or at least we thought he couldn't. If he heard us complaining he'd always say, "You'll thank me one day!"! I can remember rolling my eyes and thinking, yeah right, why would I thank you for taking away my summers! I always knew if I had questions about the church or doubts I could always ask my dad for answers. He was the most reliable source for me!
As I am an adult now I've realized that little subtle things like that have truely made me who I am. I've gained such an intense appreciation for my dad and yes I have thanked him for all those endless days of pulling weeds, picking berries, changing water or picking up rocks in the field! I have realized in great sorrow how comforting my dad can be! Especially not having kids, I forgot my dad went through the same thing with my mom. There have been a couple times I've called upset, angry or sad, and wanted my my mom and got my dad. Mind you he had a couple moments of panick, but after the initial shock and realizing why I'm upset, he has given me the comfort and understanding I've needed. He reminded me that I have a husband who is hurting as well and I can't take it all onto my shoulders.
So Dad here is to you. You have always been wise, loving, hard on me, honest almost to a fault, hard working, a rock in the church and the best dad I could have ever asked for. We love you and hope you have a great Father's Day. You're the man, dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment